POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : some special kind of glass (sorry, I don't know the english word for it...ground glass?); : Re: some special kind of glass (sorry, I don't know the english word for it...ground glass?); Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some special kind of glass (sorry, I don't know the english word for it...ground glass?);
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Apr 2000 19:42:56
Message: <chrishuff_99-16FADB.18455525042000@news.povray.org>
In article <39062a35@news.povray.org>, "Bob Hughes"
<per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote:

> Using a low enough filter value along with a little transmit can do
> okay along with the normal (I almost always use granite for that) so
> long as the pigment color is white enough.  Can even go over rgb 1 as
> in rgbft <1.5,1.5,1.5,0.25,0.125> for example. Then of course for the
> normal to do it's stuff you need a ior and specular highlight. You'll
> certainly find that things will change dramatically when the camera
> and/or light are moved. So it can often be a case of adjusting for
> one viewpoint.

I did this a while ago, I posted some images to povray.binaries.images.
While I used a blurred transparency patch, the same thing could be done
with finely scaled normals.
I used a white pigment with about half transparency, ambient 0, some
reflection, and a diffuse value which added up with reflection to equal
1.(I usually try to design my textures so diffuse+ambient+reflection <=
1) I also added double_illuminate, so the glass is lit on both sides.(of
course, the last one requires MegaPOV)

Media should also work, I don't see why it would be "prone to failure".
It could be hard to adjust though...and probably slower than any other
option(unless you use MegaPOV and media method 2 or 3).

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/